...managed to do yesterday, was to finish up Link my little experiment.

After I posted to the blog I spent the next few hours on Omegle.com, to observe some people on there... here are the things I found out.



Fist off, for whoever doesn't know what Omegle is, it's a site where you are logged in anonymously, and then paired up with another anonymous guy from somewhere around the world. You can than spend your next minutes talking to that stranger...

Of course sites like these have a lot of dicks lying around. If you haven't heard of -for example- Chatroulette, you probably don't spend too much time on the internet.

What I liked about Omegle, thou, is the spy option.

I used this one in fact to see what kind of people actually use the site, and what are the odds for a few things happening.

I actually took screenshots of every single discussion that took place, but lemme tell you they weren't that many.

But first, the technicalities!

As I said, I wanted to see how the actual discussions take place on the site. The spy mode will let you do this, but in exchange of you posting a question. I went ahead and chose a question that I thought would be an easy conversation opener for everyone out there: What song are you listening to at the moment?

After spending the last few days cruising around the site, checking what people tend to ask around in there I thought this one was really reasonable.

In fact, while the day before yesterday I put myself in the shoes of the strangers being spied upon, the most questions I found out there were of 4 kinds:
1. Questions that have something to do with 9gag.com (I put the Justin Bieber ones in this category)
2. Questions about sex
3. Insults, and/or no questions at all
4. Normal questions

I haven't actually found any questions about music. Maybe it's just bad luck, but after a few hours spent on the site and not encountering even one single time this simple enough question but me in doubts.

Also, I find that it's a lot easier to start a conversation if you actually have something to talk about. Talking about the song you are listening to is also an easy way to get to know just a little bit more about that other stranger you came upon.

And let me tell you, there are quite a few people using the site at the same time. Chances are, that out of the 20000 people who are online you might stumble upon someone decent, right?

Actually... the odds are not up. At least as far as I've seen...

Anyways, I actually spent about 5 hours on the site. And after five hours of the same question I only managed to find 100 pairs of strangers who actually wrote an answer.

And out of all those people only 4 pairs (Four!) stuck around to have a decent conversation.

And now let's see what I learned!

First off, I found it terribly funny, that 9gag fans managed to turn even this little question into something they can relate to. In fact, I think at least half of the people who stuck around knew exactly what 9gag is.

There are also a lot of people who always manage to turn a decent conversation in something hilarious... and here I actually mean that there are so many rude, insulting and racist people out there, it's actually funny. I also found it entertaining, when some of them mentioned a song that has a title with sex in it, and how all the other people run for their life when reading it.

There were also a few people out there who actually ignored the question and just typed in something without any sense, then promptly left. I always loved the trolls, but after a few hundreds of them it was getting tedious. I have to admit it here, that when I actually got to 100 answers I was so relieved, there are no words for it...

And again, something funny that happened quite a few times, was that the site managed to connect the same person to my question at least 3 times. Out of all 20000 people switching channels, it found the same guy 3 times one after the other. And let me tell you, this actually happened 3 times too. So probably not just a coincidence.

The best part though, for the stranger that is, was probably when they realized that they are listening to the same song... or actually meeting someone who once attended the same concert in the same place, they did. Yes, this actually happened once, and this pair was one of the few who actually stuck around to have a -probably- decent conversation, though I left after a while, since they switched to their mother language and I couldn't understand a thing.

There were also a few mentions of foreign - that is, not English- songs, which apparently got the other stranger to promptly leave the channel. I'm not exactly sure, why that is, since I would have still loved to get to know that foreign person better...

There were also a few mentions of popular TV shows (once even Doctor Who!), radio channels, and a few internet sites (like FML), but what actually had me surprised is, that only one single person actually recommended the other to listen to.

I mean, yes, the guy might not care about it, but the stranger who actually took the time to recommend a decent song was pretty neat. There are sill some good guys on the internet... even if they are probably few.

Oh, and what I found hilarious is that there were a couple of conversations that went along the lines of: "Do you think the OP is reading this?" "Nah, the question is randomly posted by the site, there is no one out there watching us" "Well I hope so".
So, strangers, here is the answer... yes, you were spied upon. It was actually hilarious to see you guys talking about me like I was not there...

And last but not least... besides the confused people out there there were also a bunch of lazy ones too. Instead of writing down what they are listening to, they just pasted in some links... and actually made my life a bit of hell, until I actually managed to type the link in from the screenshots I took. Because I needed to see what kind of music is it they are listening to, for the next part of this post...

So about the songs... I actually took it upon my self to write down all the songs mentioned. There were 95 different songs, and only a handful of them were listened to more than one person at the same moment.

The most popular song was Coldplay's Paradise.


The second most popular one was Skrillex's Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites


And the third most listened to song was LMFAO's Sexy and I Know It


The most popular artists were Coldplay, Lady Gaga, My Chemical Romance, Katy Perry, and Take That.

I'm going to post the few list now for those who are interested in it, along with the links you can listen to them at.

2NE1 - I Am The Best
Akatsuki Theme Remix
Akon - Dream Girl
Alexandra Stan -Mr. Saxobeat
Amazing Horse - Get On My Horse
Anne Murray- You Are My Sunshine
Animals as Leaders - Odessa
As I Lay Dying- The Darkest Nights
Aston - E.T.
Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare
Avril Lavigne - DaydreamLink
Barenaked Ladies - Big Bang Theory
Blood Sweat and Tears - Spinning Wheel
Blur- Parklife
The Beatles- 2 of us
Fettes Brot- Bettina
Calverton - The Grid
Children of Bodom - Towards Dead End
Chromeo - Fancy Footwork
Coldplay - Paradise
Coldplay- See you soon

Daft Punk - Around the world
Damo and Ivor -Everybody's drinking
David Guetta- Turn Me On
Deathstars - Play God
DJ Earworm - World Go Boom
Drake- Crew Love
Eduard Khil - I'm Glad I'm Finally Going Home
Emily Osment - Truth or dare
Flux Pavilion - I Can't Stop
Glee Cast- Red Solo Cup
Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
Ik Krijg Tieten
LinkImmortal Technique- Fight Until the End
Iration - Turn Around
Jack Wall - Suicide Mission
Jeff Lynne - Give Me Love
Justin Bieber - Baby
Kansas- Carry On My Wayward Sons
Katy Perry- The One that Got Away
Katy Perry- E.T.
Killswitch Engage - My Curse
Lady Gaga- Poker Face
Lady Gaga - Heavy Metal Lover
Lady Sovereign - Let Me Hate Me
Lil B - Violate That Bitch
Lil John - Shots
Linkin Park- The Requiem
Little Girls - Oingo Boingo
LMFAO- I'm sexy and I know it
Mastodon - Oblivion
MC Chris- Neville
Mika - Lollipop
Miscarriage - The Plot In You
Murray Gold - This is Gallifrey
My Chemical Romance - I Never Told You What I Do For a Living
My Chemical Romance - Helena
Nyan cat
Opeth - The Lotus Eater
Papa Roach - Hollywood Whore
Pavarotti - Vesti La Giubba
Pink Floyd- Comfortably Numb
Pitbul - Rain Over Me
Poison Sun - Rider In The Storm
Prezioso ft. Marvin - The Riddle
Queen - We are the Champions LinkSkid Row- 18 and Life
Skrillex- Scary Monsters and nice Sprites
Sleipnir- Manowar
Smoke and Mirrors - Black Veil Brides
Snoop Dogg ft. Marcelo D2- Obrigado
Sting- Englishman in New York
Swedish House Mafia vs. Knife party - Antidote
System Of A Down - Chop Suey
Take That - The Flood
The Scene Aesthetic - Yes, Even Stars Break
The Offspring- The Kids Aren't Alright
Theorion - Time Shall Tell
The XX -Intro
Three Days Grace- Are You Ready
Voltaire- Welcome to the World
We The Kings - Say You Like Me
Weezer - Pardon Me
Yellowcard - Hang You Up
Category: