...am going to post about today are bridges.

Yes, I have my computer up and running now as it should! And I can't be more happy about it. It's back in its fast paced, new version of it, so I guess it will have to make due without me swearing at him.
Now, I know that I already had a post about bridges, but I thought today we shall take a look at what the internet considers the scariest bridges from all around the world.

Trift Suspension Bridge
Switzerland














I kinda like suspension bridges, even though I have a mild acrophobia (which means, that I won't run away from a big height, but it will definitely make my knees go weak). Probably because of the suspension bridge that made the train station accessible from the village one of my grandparents grew up in (Méra). It was a rickety old thing, and whenever we visited via train, we had to cross it if we didn't have it in us to go all around the hills. The difference between that one and this is of course apparent. First off, this one is a LOT bigger and higher than the one I crossed, almost running, just to get to the other side as fast as possible (and also managed to somehow stick to the waving movement of it, AND to only walk on that part of it that had the cables supporting everything). This one is also in a better shape- as far as I can see, it doesn't have parts of it missing, it has pretty good handrails, and it also has stabilizing cables. I'm pretty sure it will still give everyone a good adrenalin rush, though.


Capilano Suspension Bridge Canada

I guess this one is not unlike the first bridge. And I don't even know if this one should or not scare me more than the other, but it does for some reason. I do love forests - I prefer forests and hills when it comes for me to chose between them and the sea, even though I hate climbing up them - but knowing that those huge trees are just waiting for you to fall down and impale yourself on them makes it all the creepier. But, I would 100% try to walk over it. I'm pretty sure, the scenery makes up for everything - and if you don't look directly down, you'll probably be fine. The bridge is of about 70 meters high, by the way.

Monkey bridges, Vietnam




















I'm pretty sure all of you guys who went up the mountains for camping managed to come across one or two fallen tree trunks that supposed to be used as bridges. Some of you might have even landed in the little streams if the trunk was wet and you lost your balance. The thing is, though, those trunks were a lot thicker than these frail little bamboo poles. I have actually no idea, how those few poles could hold up a grown man's weight. I guess overweight people should be visiting those surroundings...

Hussaini Hanging Bridge Pakistan




































The rickety old bridge I crossed in Méra was just a little bit safer than this one. Though, I have no idea why no one actually got together a few materials and made this thing safer. Even looking at it gives me the creeps, I have no idea how the people who have to cross it day after day do it. The only advice I can give you if you come across something like this, is to keep your legs where the cables run. Then, if you manage to break one of the planks at least you'll still have something you can place your weight on. Also, look at the bright side of it: at least the cables aren't ropes!

Category: