... ran across today is a site about cryptozoology.

You might ask me how do people just "run into" sites like this. Well, I didn't use stumbleupon, I went looking.

Since yesterday I was a bit busy with a project that's due this Saturday, I thought today I will post something a bit longer and -I hope- interesting for all you guys out there who love weird mythical beasts.

Here are my favorites...

1. Bigfoot, Sasquatch, and their icy cousin the Yeti
Who hasn't heard of these guys? There are - i guess- hundreds of movies about them. The funny part is, where there is a "standard" for these guys. Apparently, the "standard" adult Bigfoot is six to nine feet tall, heavily built, and muscular, with large feet and a sagittal crest on top of the head, giving the head a somewhat pointed, elongated look, like a bullet. The forehead itself is generally sloping, suggesting a brain that has more in common with apes (or very primitive men) than modern humans. The entire body is covered with thick, shaggy fur of about the same length, without longer hair on the head. The body shape is often compared to a professional football player or a bodybuilder, with large muscles and a solid physique. Footprints measure fifteen inches long on average, with five toes. Behavior towards humans can be aggressive, but is seldom anything worse than a threat display. Now the Yeti, is supposed to be different just because it apparently lives on another continent. In my opinion people are just racist. Bazinga.

2. Chupacabra
Now this one I find funny as hell. After watching THAT episode on Dexter's Laboratory (Heh, I know you know what I'm talking about) the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions this animal(?) are crazy Mexicans. The other funny thing is, that people don't even know what this thing is supposed to be look like. Apparently everyone who has seen one described it in totally different ways. Some say they are winged beasts, other think they are just coyotes with a stupid fur disease. The only thing that it's common in the sightings is that they are supposed to suck the blood of livestock like some vampires do. (And UNLIKE some vampires, they don't sparkle).

3. The Mothman
Sooo... I remember seeing a movie about this guys. (And I still think Mothman is a stupid idea for a superhero) Apparently the mothman has wings and great big red eyes. And also, his favorite past-time is chasing cars. For some reason (I wonder why) there was only one person who saw his face and she (i bet she was blonde, retarded or just pissed out of her mind) says she had nightmares about it. Now, with all these information, I'm going to interpret this meeting. Blondino is so drunk she can't recognize colors. She is driving home from that great little party - or possibly a tavern in the suburbs- and she is spotted by the police. She stops, the police approaches her and she notices the red glow of the sirens. She looks at the policeman, decides that he looks quite gray in the night, and - oh look for some reason he just grew some wings - passes out. She wakes in a jail, and for a young woman that's probably enough to have nightmares for a while. Oh, damn, I nearly forgot the "fact" that the mothman is supposed to walk with a weird shuffle, like a penguin. I think that must have been an American policeman, pissed off that he had to pass his late-night dinner in favor of a drunk hussy.

4. Jersey Devil
Oh hey, another American animal...beast...thingy. And apparently there are two kinds of them too. I found a great description about this guy! The Jersey Devil of folklore is a creature that may or may not be vaguely human-shaped. Oh that explains a lot. So, it can be pretty much whatever the hell it wants to be? Who the hell described this beast? Adam? Also this devil thing sparkles! And it might also look like a dragon too. Maybe some snake mated with Tinkerbell? (Thanks, Ago, for the tip) Now, the modern Jersey devils are apparently whatever the hell scares children around New Jersey. They can be Bigfoots, stray cats, or I don't know... David Copperfield.

5. Thunderbird
Guess what! Thunderbirds are American too. They are giant predatory eagle-like or vulture-like birds with supernatural powers. This bird is sighted regularly in the same areas, at the same times of year, leading cryptozoologists to conclude that it might be an incredibly rare and highly migratory bird. (Oh yes, there are "scientists" who research these things. Tho I have no idea what superpowers these thing have, for me, a giant bird is extremely supernatural in it's self. I remember visiting the museum of the Danube Delta, and seeing birds almost as big as me. They creeped me out.

6. Nessie
Oh I know you were looking out for this one, wondering if I will list it. Out of all the stuff I wrote before, Nessie is my favorite. I don't really know why, there is just something special about a great huge water dragon thingy that shies away from people. I think he must be really intelligent... Not just because for some reason he never shows up on sonars (Wonder why that is), but because he keeps drawing in tourists. He must have finished business and psychology classes.

7. The Kraken
If we are talking about water monsters, we must never forget the Kraken. Davy Jones' favorite pet... wait, that's different. According to stories this huge, many armed, creature could reach as high as the top of a sailing ship's main mast. A kraken would attack a ship by wrapping their arms around the hull and capsizing it. The crew would drown or be eaten by the monster. What's amazing about the kraken stories is that, of all the sea monster tales we have, we have the best evidence that this creature was based on something real. Oh, and if you ask me, this is where the tentacle!se* comes in. (No offense, Japan)

8. Werewolfs and vampires
This is where I should stop. I hate it when people from other countries ask about these. Just because I live in Transylvania, doesn't mean that I met any of these guys. And no, I'm not one either. In fact, I don't even believe in them. And if they were real... they suck (no pun intended). And if you guys don't know what a werewolf or a vampire is... well, you should probably pick up a book or something. Just sayin'...


9.The basilisk
Ok, so this one cracks me up. Tho the western impersonation of a basilisk is, well, quite phallic, should i say (huge snake), the eastern one is a bit more hilarious. Apparently, it's a two-legged dragon, with a rooster head. Also known as a cockatrice. (Heh, cock, got it?)







10. The I-need-to-hurry-with-this-post-unless-I-want-to-be-late-from-class


This one is the most horrendous monster of all of them. I can't even talk about this one.
Category: