...told you guys, is that this month is full with holidays and celebrations.
















Well, today it's another one of those!



And I bet every single Hungarian reader knew that this was coming. Now, I'm going to take the chance and wish everyone a Happy Holiday. I already took part of the festivities today, helping out in an event organized at the Hungarian Opera in our city, so I thought it would be also a pretty good topic to write about.

For those of you who still have no idea what I'm talking about, today is a national holiday.

March the 15th in 1848 was the start of the independence war. I'm not going to bore you guys with all kinds of stuff about it - though back when I was in elementary school this was actually my favorite topic in history class.

Let it be enough that there were a bunch of really important people involved in this... People like Kossuth Lajos (A Hungarian lawyer, journalist, politician and Regent-President), Széchenyi István (A Hungarian politician, theorist and writer), Petőfi Sándor (Probably the most well known Hungarian poet and liberal revolutionary) and Bem József (A Polish general, and a national hero of Poland and Hungary).

If you would like to read more about this topic, you could always visit Wikipedia. Or... you know... grab a history book.






















Also, in case you were wondering what this thing is on the picture, its called a cockade. Everyone who wants to participate in the celebration usually hangs one of these on their clothes nowadays.

Sadly, I don't have one in RL (and even if I had I would probably not wear it... it's a dangerous world out there...), so I'm going to have to make due with virtual ones.

So... since today everyone around here becomes a nationalist suddenly, here's the Hungarian National song! (You can even find a translation in the description box, though as far as I could see it's really really crappy)



Well, I guess that's it for today, guys. Have a nice one!
Category: