...finally can present to you is my review of Cloud Atlas.

I finished the book tonight, and now I'm ready to comment on it!




The first glimpse I got of this was - of course - the movie trailer. I was immediately pulled into it, and I  started the book only a few days later. 

Of course, I wanted to finish it off before the actual movie came out, since movies based on books have the tendency to leave things out and leave the non-readers baffled at what is happening. But back to my actual review. 

First off, let me tell you, that it was a pretty hard read. I imagine the more devoted reader would have read this book with a dictionary at her or his side. I didn't really feel the need for this, tho. Not that I knew all the words or anything, but the plot was understandable this way too. 

David Mitchell must be a pretty good writer to pull off something like this. 

If you haven't read it yet, here's a tip. Be sure to stick the whole thing out, because it will get a lot better as you progress. 

I admit, the first chapter was not only hard to read because all the unknown words, it seemed to me that it carried on forever and ever, without anything interesting happening. I took notice of a few, slightly humorous parts to it, but at first nothing caught my imagination. 

Than, the second story began and I heaved a sigh of relief at this, because it turned into something a lot better. 

You see, after the first chapter I was one hundred percent sure that the whole book will be like this. You know, those books that can only be understood with a guide. (In my opinion those are the most boring ones, especially since they seem to be the only ones that are rewarded.) But no, for me at least, it was pretty understandable, both the book as a whole and every single story on its own. 

All right, let me explain something to you before I go any further (I don't want to have a review that can be only read by those who already read the book - what's the point in THAT?). The novel starts off with the story of Adam Ewing, an American notary, waiting for his transport to get repaired after a shipwreck. The book goes on explaining a few things about the island he is on, and about the tribes that lived -and live - there. Then, just when the story is starting to get interesting, it is cut in half. 

The second one starts with Robert Frobisher, a poor Englishman finding a job as an amanuensis in  Belgium. (An amanuensis is a person who is hired to write down what someone dictates. Basically the same thing as Ghostwriter) The story goes on in the form of letters - a rather abrupt change after the diary form of the first one. 

The third cuts in half the second one, this time with Luisa Rey, a journalist who wants to shut down a nuclear plant. This story is even better than the first one (I think it was the closest to my heart, seeing how I both like writing, and am taking classes in nature studies). This story is told in a new way compared to the others - it is written like a cool little murder- mystery book. 

The fourth story again cuts this one in half. This one is a comedy as far as I could understand. It's about an editor, who flees from some gangsters, and ends up in a nursing home - against his will, with no way to escape. I found this line of story unique and kinda hilarious. The characters and events are described trough the eyes of Cavendish - the main character - and his comments are quite funny. 

The fifth story again cuts this one off, this time with a futuristic story of Sonmi- 451. She is a clone, who works in a diner, but after a while she rebels against the totalitarian society who exploits her and her kind. The story is told in the for of an interview - just before she is executed for her crimes. 

The sixth story is again in the future. It is written in a pretty hard to grasp language (at least the first few pages, until you get used to it), and it's about a post-apocalyptic Hawaii. The main character tells his story as an old man, around a campfire. 

This sixth story is started and finished in one piece, than one by one the other ones are closed too, in a mirror-like way. First the fifth, then the fourth and so on. 

Now, all these stories are linked to each other .- and not in only one way, either. 

The main character in each story is basically the same soul, a fact that you will only get one or two hints all along the book (look out for birthmarks). That is not everything tho. Each story is viewed by the same soul in a different time and space. For example, the letters of Frobisher are later read by Luisa Rey as she comes in contact with Rufus Sixsmith, Frobisher's (hinted at) lover, and Luisa's best bet in her quest. 

Now, a few things about the characters in the book. I found them a little bit... flat, actually. Although the ideas presented in the book were pretty great, I think it could have been a lot better if the characters were a lot more enjoyable. Sometimes I found myself yawning and looking forward for something more interesting - even when the plot line -and topic- actually WAS interesting. For example I couldn't get myself emotional about some people ending their lives, or others getting beaten up. For some reason I didn't connect with ANY of the character enough for me to be able to cheer them on, or even hate them. 

And let me tell you, this book has a whole bunch of instances where at least one should feel disgust or sadness. As far as I understood the stories hint at a large variety of good and bad things (rape, suicide, murder, greed, hypocrisy, adultery, rebellion, robbery, torture, racism, politics, fear, truths, and secrets, denial, pederasty, different kinds of relationships that are either nice, or just plain and simple - weird, and even religion and science). 

I think this books brings up the best and the worst of the human population of this world. Knowing this it is kinda understandable that the characters seemed flat, after all, how could you include the whole world into a book with six (or one, depending on how you look at it) short stories? 

This is NOT a book that most people will read over and over again, in my opinion. This is a book that has to be read once, and from cover to cover. It has hidden debts that can be observed by the play of words. 

The whole thing kinda made me thing that every single little word in it was planned out by the author to give the whole thing double, triple or even more facets. 

I don't think this book has one single, good way, of interpretation. 

And THAT, my friends, is the beauty of it. 

As for the question of 'will I read more books from Mitchell?' the answer is 'I don't know'. I think I still need a little time to digest this one, before I give a chance for anything else like this. 

That means, I'll now finish the War of the World for a little harmless fun. See you next time with a review for that one! 
Category: