... will be watching tonight is the Oscars.

It became a kind of ritual watching the show with mom, but the best part in it will be staying up all night, and probably surfing the internet while I watch it.

And since mom has a laptop I'm going to be able to do that from my bed, which will be even better.
But before the show I'm going to have to check out the nominees... well, at least watch their trailers.

Since I have no idea what kind of movies are nominated this year - these last years only crappy movies got nominated so I didn't really care - I have to look them up. This will be all new to me too!

I found the full list on the guardian, so I'm going to use that one.

First off, The Artist.


My first thoughts on this one were that Emő will probably love it. Then I scrolled down to the comment section to see people's reaction to the movie, and let me tell you most of them hated it. I'm one of those people who doesn't appreciate the old black-and-white movies too much... Especially not the silent ones. Lots of people wouldn't admit that, so they are viewed as really intelligent, old-movie lover nerds, but that's how it is. Here is the best comment I found about it:

"The film has its production and entertainment value to attract mass audience, but if you are an educated intellectual person, you probably will consider this as a cheesy Oscar hype and a phony tribute from ass-kissing French copycats to the silent era of Hollywood industry." by ilvtofku

Thank you,
ilvtofku, that made my day!

The Help


Watching the trailer I could only think that I want to read the book. I think this will be one of those rare movies nominated to the Oscars I will actually like. The story seems good, and the acting amazing. There's a bunch of humorous parts in it, but it has quite a serious topic too, so that balances it out. Yes, I think I WILL watch this movie sooner or later. Here is one of the comments I found good on this:

"
another case of the "all hail the white savior who saved the poor, poor defenseless black folk." perfect for a country that wants to wash its hands of any guilt and feel good. and all this while not acknowledging that it was actually--wait for it--black people who fought for their rights! and to think that these movies would be worth telling if we didn't see them through the lens of white folk 99% of the time." by floatinroundmytincan

I agree with you, but it's just a movie... for history lessons, go to school!

Okay, to the next one... Bridesmades



Which I think is just a female version of The Hangover. I'm not actually sure this is worth an Oscar, to tell you the truth, but stranger things happened. Funny thing, I wrote that sentence down before I read any comments... you know, my first impressions... And as soon as I scrolled down, here is what I found:

"
Female version of the Hangover sounds pretty accurate...but when guys throw up on eachother and shit in sinks,it´s immature,cliche and gross. When women do it it´s brave,groundbreaking and fresh.

Thought it was a funny film,I laughed but to reward this feminism with 2 heavy noms,best supporting actress n best O.screenplay was overcompensating. Wonder why Anchorman or Wedding crashers or other films with 7.0 at IMDB n good reception from critics weren´t recognized? Hmm... McCarthy was creepy." by Sumumabitch78

I guess I'm not the only one who thought that. I'll probably watch this movie, cause I never said no to a comedy, but I don't think this will be a favorite.

Albert Nobbs

Holy cow, it seems this years Oscars won't be so bad... this movie is something I will definitely watch. It looks great, it has a pretty unique story, and awesome performances. It's also a little bit disturbing and weird, and even though the character of Albert creeps me out, it also makes me want to just hug and cuddle him (her?).

Here's the comment that reflects on what most people think about it:

"I'm sorry, I love Glenn Close but every time I see her in this movie it cracks me up. She looks like a gay 50-year old man who had too many facelifts. It just creeps me out and gives me unintentional Lulz" by GratefulVince.

Well yes,I agree with this, but did it ever cross your mind that it was intended like that?

My Week With Marilyn



I'm going to watch this one not for the story - I think that's a bit boring- but for the actors in it. Sooooo many good actors (and no, I'm not thinking about Emma Watson) are playing in it, I don't think I will be able to sit this out.

Sadly those other actors don't get a chance because of Watson... apparently having Hermione Granger in a movie will make most of the teenager boys swooning. Which would be good, if the story would've been about her.

The comments under the trailer- almost all of them- mentioned Emma Watson instead of actually talking about the movie, so since I didn't find this particularly helpful I'm not giving you a comment.

On to the next one!

Moneyball



I don't like movies about sports, but for some reason this one seems decent enough for me to watch it. And no, not because of Brad Pitt either. In fact I think Jonah Hill makes it all the better. And apparently I'm not the only one who thinks this. The top rated comment under the trailer says:

"Coming from a guy who doesn't like baseball and has little faith in new movies.. I actually enjoyed this movie quite a great deal. I thought the beginning wasn't bad then Jonah Hill made it better because I like him. I have to say this is one of the better new movies you see. " by ZachJamesFriend

Yes, yes indeed, dear sir!

Warrior


Oh no, hell no, not another one of these... When I said I don't like any movies about sport, I was mostly thinking I actually hate any movies about boxing. Most of these are all the same anyway, so if you watched one you have seen em all.

Sorry, but this one wasn't one that piqued my interest.

Also, reading only a couple of comments below the trailer spoiled it - not by actually speaking about what is in it, but because they pretty much told me it's one of those "you have to go on and never quit" inspirational -overdone- stuff Hollywood is all about.

Beginners


Funny thing is, at first I thought this one will be a good movie, but as the trailer went on I realized it would be a fu*king boring movie. I think this is one of those movies you would want to watch while doing more important stuff around the house, and probably catching only a couple of scenes in it.

Oh also... here is what I actually think. Put in a cute dog in a Hollywood movie, and you instantly get a huge amount of money. And considering that the comment section under the movie was mostly about the cute little dog, I'm going to say I'm right in this one.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close


And a terribly long title for such an overrated movie. Yes, it will be interesting to see it, I'm not denying it. But it's not one of those earth shattering experiences you will feel when you are trough with it. You'll just go back to your daily boring life, probably without thinking another moment about it's message.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo


I never understood what the hype was about this movie. It's nothing I would run off to the cinema for. Hell, I probably won 't even download it.

I think of it as I thought about Inception... as in probably not worth the time. And since I still have Inception on my comp and I still didn't watch it yet, this will probably happen with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo too.

The Iron Lady


After I watched the trailer a couple of times I still didn't have any idea what it is supposed to be about. So I had to actually read it's description, and apparently it's about Margaret Thatcher. Sadly I didn't recognize her name either, so I checked it out quickly on wiki. I'm ashamed that I had no idea who she was, but now I do. A good place to learn some new stuff from. Still not sure I will be watching it by my own, but maybe I could be persuaded later on...

Also here is another place where people are talking more about an actor than the actual movie, so I'm going to go ahead and guess that Meryl Streep does an amazing job portraying Thatcher's character - even when lots of people didn't like her.

A Better Life


The narration of this trailer made me think of puss in boots, so I'm not exactly sure it convinced me to watch it. The fact that it's a movie about getting away from gangs - which is another topic I mostly hate in movies- made me realize that no, I won't check this one out. I know, I know, I'm judging the book by it's cover. But hey, this one is not my thing.

The Descendants


This is again one of those movies I will watch only if I have nothing else better to do. The actors didn't convince me, and the story is pretty much overdone too. I'm not exactly sure what else to say about it, so I'm just going to step to the next one.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy


What's with the creepy Lost music? Considering the trailer makes me think of Sherlock Holmes (Which I still didn't watch... neither of them), I probably won't be watching this one either. But I'm still considering this, since it has quite good actors in it - Gary Oldman is one of them.

Most people think that, even though the acting was awesome this movie is pretty boring and confusing.

Oh and looking at the comment section under this movie it became clear that this is one of those movies you will either love or hate - there is a flame war going on in the comments, and it went so far as this:
"#1: Fuck the Oscars. They've lost all credibility years ago when they gave a rap group like Three 6 Mafia an Oscar. And the strangest part of it all is that 90% of the Academy voting committee are fat old white Jewish men...so I'm not surprised if this shit wins whatever award. It's a bunch of fat old white guys giving awards to another bunch of fat old white guys.

#2: I knew this was a drama from just reading the synopsis, bitch. I didn't watch it for action." courtesy to coldstaind91

(Uh oh, we got a troll around here)

Hugo



This is one of the movies everyone loves. I love it too, even though I didn't even watch the trailer. Nah, joking. I watched the trailer and I liked it. Especially the police man. This movie is going to remind me of my childhood... It brings me back to Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, and David Copperfield, and the Neverending Story, and the polar express, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and even Harry bloody Potter. All put into a little movie, it's like Christmas came sooner, or as if the Cake boss himself made you a masterpiece...

I'm going to just go ahead and say, I will watch this one, and be marveled by it. Definitely.

Midnight in Paris


What's with all the movies about Paris nowadays? Well, if not for else I'll be watching this movie to see how many times the Eiffel tower will be viewable in the distance. While I watched the trailer I only spotted it 5 times, so maybe this one will be decent. Also since I've been to Paris and I wasn't terribly taken in by it, I'm going to just see if I recognize any places they used in the movies.

And now about the movie... it's interesting I guess. As I said, I'm going to watch it, because I'm never one to turn down a comedy. (It's a comedy, right? I hope I didn't get the wrong idea...)

The Tree of Life


Before I watched the trailer I thought this one will be some kind of Documentary. Apparently it's not, but since I have absolutely no idea what this is supposed to be I will have to watch it. Most of the people who commented on it say that this movie is horrible, and boring and it pretty much sucks, and it's confusing, and whatever else rude things they can come up with. I admit, I'm not terribly excited about it either, but it looked decent enough.

Margin Call


Okay, I have to pick up on my writing because I have to go in half an hour... So just a couple of things from now on... This movie has a bunch of good actors again, but even with them I'm not convinced it's worth watching.

A Separation


I'm not going to lie, I'm probably not going to watch this, because it's foreign. I'm not saying it's not a good movie, I was just never impressed by foreign movies (I never even watched Slumdog)...

Bullhead


Nope, not watching it...

The Ides of March


The trailer started out good, it has some great actors, but sadly I don't care about the story. No, not watching it on my own...

Footnote


When I saw that this one is in the Foreign category too I thought, no, not watching it. But then the trailer came up and fu*k me if I'm not going to watch it. It seems amazing! And then I realized I was watching the wrong Footnote trailer. I guess it was worth it though. Not going to watch the original, but it gave me a new show to search up...

In Darkness


Sewers, jews, russians, and war.... I'm giving this a maybe...

Monseur Lazhar


French... nothing to do here...

A cat in Paris


Ugh... Paris again... what's wrong with other places? I also don't liek the style of the animation.

Chico and Rita


Am I the only one who doesn't like these kinds of animations? Maybe all the Pixar and Disney cartoons fu*ked me up?

Kung Fu Panda 2


I wasn't too entertained by the first one, but this one at least has a style I like. I'm going to watch it, cause I don't want to miss the second part...

Rango


I actually saw this one already... yes, the whole of it, not just the trailer. It was pretty decent... Not something I'm going to re-watch, but OK.

Puss in Boots

I loved Puss in Shrek, but for some reason I didn't check this one out yet. I'm going to, though... it looks good, and I still won't give up a chance to watch a comedy...

War Horse


So, it's a Stieven Spielberg film. Yes, I'll be watching it... horses are amazing, and the time this movie depicts is also cool. I think this one will be quite an inspired movie.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2

I wish this one was nominated to more places. It is after all something I, along with a bunch of other people never forget. I actually loved this part, which is strange, because I hated the last part of the books. The movie is really good - Alan Rickman is still awesome.

And yes, I will watch this again and again... And I will remember it. ALWAYS.
Category: