... have to thank for my stupid mood is this weather.

Yesterday morning it was all warm and sunny and now it's so cold and gloomy, it makes me really tired and bored.


So, since I don't have anything else better to do, I'm going on a trip. I'm going to visit a legendary place. Feel free to join in the fun.

"For it is related in our records how once upon a time your State stayed the course of a mighty host, which, starting from a distant point in the Atlantic ocean, was insolently advancing to attack the whole of Europe, and Asia to boot. For the ocean there was at that time navigable; for in front of the mouth which you Greeks call, as you say, 'the pillars of Heracles,' there lay an island which was larger than Libya and Asia together; and it was possible for the travelers of that time to cross from it to the other islands, and from the islands to the whole of the continent over against them which encompasses that veritable ocean. For all that we have here, lying within the mouth of which we speak, is evidently a haven having a narrow entrance; but that yonder is a real ocean, and the land surrounding it may most rightly be called, in the fullest and truest sense, a continent. Now in this island of Atlantis there existed a confederation of kings, of great and marvelous power, which held sway over all the island, and over many other islands also and parts of the continent." (Timaeus, Plato)

"But at a later time there occurred portentous earthquakes and floods, and one grievous day and night befell them, when the whole body of your warriors was swallowed up by the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner was swallowed up by the sea and vanished; wherefore also the ocean at that spot has now become impassable and unsearchable, being blocked up by the shoal mud which the island created as it settled down." (Timaeus, Plato)

I always wondered why people are searching for Atlantis in the Mediterranean sea, when it was so clearly said that it's in the Atlantic ocean (you know... if it would actually exist).

Anyways, this post started out with a bunch of legendary places from all around the world, but since I've read that little part from Timaeus I have this new 'theory' that Atlantis might be Greenland... or possibly Iceland.

And before you all say I'm stupid - There were a whole bunch of other people convinced Atlantis was exactly where they wanted it to be only to be proven wrong -, just hear me out.

I haven't read the original documents or whatever, that are supposed to be a pretty cool "Middle Earth" story from a guy looong gone. The only thing I know is what I read around the internet and some information also comes from the few documentaries I watched about the topic. So whatever comes next is based on those.

First off, that part you just read says that the place was LARGE. Like, literally so large, it could pass as another continent. Now I don't see any other island that could pass for that. It was also so large, that you could -apparently- pass from one continent to another easily (which means that those continents were probably a LOT closer to each other at that time).

If that were the case, that would mean that the weather was absolutely different also - probably just good enough for some people to be able to live there.

There are also quite a few of volcanoes around there - active ones at that, as we witnessed these last years. And where there's a volcano, there could be the distinct possibility of "a grievous night" and the earth swallowing people. Especially if it is preceded by an earthquake that's big enough to cause a tsunami.

Also, I find that there are a whole bunch of myths and legends about the place- and the whole mystery about Atlantis reminds me of great empires like Egypt, and mysteries that promise great knowledge.

There is also the part where scientists today call the whole place Avalonia after Avalon - and I mean the place that includes not only Greenland, but Iceland and the islands of the UK.

I also found a couple of maps that supposedly have "Atlantis" on them, and they all have pretty much the shape of Greenland. Apparently I'm not the only one who thought this. Which makes me kinda happy, cause it means I'm not losing my mind. Yet.
Category: