... was told to write about, are my favorite Eurovision songs.

You know, since we are all in this ESC business anyway, I thought we could get this out of the way.


Now, I have to admit that I didn't watch the show too many times in my life- back in the old days I don't even think it was on the T.V. around here (the first show was held in 1956), so you'll have to forgive me if I post something from those old times.

There were a bunch of songs that are good even today - probably ones most of you didn't even know that they were written for the ESC.

So let's see what I can find for you guys.

First off, there's Johnny Logan with Hold Me Now. This song was the winner of Eurovision two years before I was even born (that is in 1987), but it managed to inscribe itself on the wall of fame. I think it's one of the most beautiful songs of all time that ever won the ESC.


So the next one is dedicated to Emő. Did you know that Céline Dion got famous after she won the Eurovision with a French song in 1988? She entered the contest representing Switzerland, and won it after a breathtaking event where her song managed to get the first place with a difference of one single point from the second place. This is amazing for all of you who know how the voting is done in this competition.


Lordi – Hard Rock Hallelujah was the winner in 2006 - back when I was still in high school. Now this episode I was there for, and as I said in some older posts it was one of my favorites of all time. We didn't even suspect that these monsters will win the contest and we were as surprised as everyone else. They got a huge amount of votes that year and managed to won the competition after Finland didn't even get into the top% in the existence of this show. I remember back then I was a big Lordi fan, I listened to almost all of their songs. Ah well, those times are over I guess.


Denmark won for the second time in 2000 with the song Olsen Brothers – Fly On The Wings Of Love. The song is really nice and the guys- in my opinion- make the show. They are so lovable you want to go out there and hug them. I think this is what music should be about.


This next song is probably the first one I remember watching live, and back in 2005 I loved this song. Elena Paparizou - My Number One was the song I was rooting that year and I'm sure it was why I remember it so well. They actually managed to win the competition (and I guess that's the one and only time the country I wanted to win actually won). Since that day Greece never fell out of the top 10 songs in any show.


The next one is a song I have no idea what is about but for some reason I know. It won the contest the exact year my parents were born - in 65. It was probably one of the rarest things in history because this song was actually one that people wanted to buy and radios wanted to play. Emő, I'm pretty sure you'll like this one also.


Secret Garden – Nocturne was the only semi-instrumental song that ever won the contest, with the song having 24 words in it in total. But then again Norway managed to break the winning streak of Ireland who won the last 3 times with this song. But the irony in this was that the violinist for this song came from Ireland. I'm not exactly sure who has the glory here, but the song is beautiful anyway.


In 1976 Brotherhood Of Man - Save Your Kisses For Me was a pretty big hit. UK won the contest for the third time that year, and they deserved it. The whole thing reeks of the year when being a hipster was normal, it has that "I'm so high I can barely stand" feeling to it, but fu*k it if I still don't hear this song quite frequently.


I'm pretty sure all of you know this next one also. Turkey won the ESC in 2003 with it, and since then it is also a song that is played in a whole bunch of places. I'm talking about Sertab Erener - Everyway That I Can, and if the music doesn't pop into your head this instant you probably live under a rock.


Alexander Rybak – Fairytale was again a surprise winner that year for me. The song was a little bit weird for my tastes at the time, but I guess it's one of those that grow on you with time. Mom and sis really liked this song too, so this is for them. It was the winner in 2009, and after the winner of 2008 it was a pretty big change. Which brings us to the next one... but first the video!


Dima Bilan-Belive was one of the pieces I had a love and hate relationship with. I hated it because Edvin Marton (the violinist) ditched a concert in our city to go to this show, but I can actually understand him. The show they put on was great and song likewise. This is one of the times where someone who deserved it won.


Lena - Satellite was a truly unique song and I don't think it was attempted any other time before or after to have something similar. The best part in it was that she was wearing a Taizé necklace - one that looked exactly like the one we had since we visited Taizé that exact year she won. So yeah, I guess she has a special place in my heart.


I have two more songs for you guys (And I'm pretty sure you all know what's coming next). First off, it's ABBA -Waterloo. They won Eurovision in 1974, and they brought the first ever victory to Sweden. By that time they were quite famous in Scandinavia, but mostly unknown in every part of the world. I think this song was that brought them the glory and from then on they became one of the most popular band of all time.


And now, for the last one!

A song from 1958. A real classic that everybody knows, called Domenico Modungo – Nel blu dipinto di blu. You don't know what it is? I don't believe you! It is the most successful Eurovision song ever, even if it only won the third place in the show. If you still don't know what I'm talking about, you'll probably know this song after it's unofficial title: Volare.
Category: