...am going back to is our old blog style.

The other day mom asked me what the hell was this steampunk thing I'm always talking about. Since she didn't really seem to understand it even after I tried to explain it, I had to rely on my basic movie knowledge... you know, for a visual representation of the whole steampunk world (cause I just can't degrade it to fashion).

Anyways, I thought I will share you guys a couple of cool movies that feature everything that's steampunk in it.

But before we start I have to mention that the movies I post here are ones that I consider have the best of the best steampunk costumes and gadgets. I'm sure that there will be a lot I will leave out, so feel free to add them in the comment section, below this post!

Now, let's start...

Around The World in 80 Days (2004)
Now, if you want to see something that stays REALLY faithful to the original Verne books, you will probably stay away from this movie. Though, I have to tell you guys that for a little harmless fun, it's worth the trouble. I find the chosen actors for this movie hilarious - they do a great job of making fun of something that was... well... always fun. Arnold makes me want to crack up every time I watch him in a movie, no matter what kind of movie it is. I think he's kinda like a caricature even in real life, not just in the movies. For other movies of this kind, check out Sleepy Hollow.

Wild Wild West (1999)
After watching Man In Black back in that time I was pretty much hooked on Will Smith, which turned out to be one of the best things ever. Wild Wild West is the best freaking adventure -parody movie till now, even better than the previous one. It has everything it needs: weird, implausible gadgets, cool costumes and scenes, AND it also has some pretty good actors in it, that will make it worth to watch. If you haven't seen it already, be sure that you will crack up at least a couple of times.

The Golden Compass (2007)
This movie reminds me of a whole lot of other stories. If you liked The Polar Express, Harry Potter, The Chronicles of Narnia, and to add something "newer", The Hunger Games, you will definitely love this. And what's not to like, really? It has cute, talking animals that become brave and fierce when necessary, it has adventure and cool gadgets (we DO love those gadgets, don't we?) and really good actors. If you loved this you will also probably want to check out Hugo, or Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.

The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)
All right, so by watching the trailer you will most definitely want to avoid watching this. I don't blame you, it kinda looks like a really bad version of The Avengers (and I pretty much hate those guys). But, for some reason this movie was WAY better than any newer "superhero" movie they could come up till now. Probably because it freaking steampunk. Sean Connery also rocks, and I can't imagine my favorite adventure movies and series without him (Oh, how I wish they didn't fuc* with the original Indiana Jones movies). If you love this kind of movies I could also point you guys to the Hellboy series and to Van Helsing.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
Oh, I just had to add an animated movie to the list too. And what else, besides this fantastic Disney cartoon? (One of the least loved ones, sadly) I generally love the theme of Atlantis, and adding to it a whole little story, about the ACTUAL civilization is truly great- at least in my opinion. I generally love stories that present a whole new world, a different culture from far away in our past. You know, like How to Train Your Dragon, or the whole Harry Potter series. The more the details that go into it, the better. Also, this cartoon strangely reminded me of another Disney movie that also has some cool steampunk gadgets in it: Treasure Planet. Watch both of them if you can. Other animated steampunk movies are Castle in The Sky, Howl's Moving Castle, and definitely 9.

And the last one for today: The Prestige (2006)
For a story that has more "drama" in it than all the others before, you will want to check this one out also. It's full of intrigue and magical atmosphere, and you might find it's not as childish as the ones before it. If you have to act like the serious adult that you are in front of people, but you still can't give up your inner child, these will be the ones you should chose for a pleasurable evening. Or, perhaps you could always try the Sherlock Holmes stories. Or The Time Machine (one of the best movies of all time in my opinion). Your choice, really.

So which movies did I miss out? Which are YOUR favorites?
Category: